Five Quick Tips to Organize Your Day



To all of the moms with older kiddos, we are finally past the diaper and sleepless night phase of parenthood, however, nobody tells you that mothering teens and tweens can be just as exhausting as taking care of babies. Can we just take a moment to acknowledge that we're basically superheroes? We're the family taxi, housecleaner, life coach, motivator, chef, and the list goes on. We have to wear many hats and switch gears at a moment's notice. But guess what? We're amazing at it!


A lot of people ask me how I have to find the time and motivation to write and pursue my passions, while still keeping my focus on my family. So, let me share some tips on how I balance it all without feeling like I’m about to pull my hair out.


Step 1: Setting boundaries is not a selfish act - it's an act of self-preservation 

It's important for me to establish boundaries when I’m writing, and communicating this to my family is key. I let them know that I need some time to focus on work, but I assure them that I’m always available to address their questions, once I’m done. I tell them to ask themselves, “Can this question wait for one hour?” If so, just hold off on asking it or send it in a text. We all know how teens and tweens love to text!


Step 2: Learn How to Multitask like a Girl Boss

Take advantage of those moments when your kids are busy with their own activities or at school. Whether it's Volleyball practice or hanging out with friends, use that time to get some writing done. I often take my laptop to my daughter's practice so that I can work while still being able to support her passions. 


Step 3: Break it up Baby 

Break up your work into manageable chunks throughout the day. Maybe you only have 10 minutes between driving your son to soccer practice and picking up your daughter from dance class. Use that time to write, and before you know it, you'll have a whole chapter done.


Step 4: Monkey See, Monkey do

Incorporate writing into your children's lives. They're at an age where they're exploring their own passions and interests, so why not encourage them to write as well? Who knows, maybe you'll have a budding writer in the family. The family that writes together...


Step 5: Self-care isn't a luxury, it's a necessity for a healthy mind, body, and soul

Take care of yourself. Yes, you're a mom, but it’s important to make time to follow your dreams, and that means taking the time to make it happen. Remember, one day the kiddos will fly the coop and I try to make it a priority to not lose myself in “momming” while still being the best mother that I can be.


Listen up fellow momprenuers, if a caffeine-dependent, sleep-deprived, hot-mess like me can make it work, then trust me, anyone can! Just believe in yourself, keep hustling, and don't forget to throw in some humor and wine along the way.


Your friend in motherhood,

Mama Rach


Comments

Popular Posts