Remember that time we flew around the world?

Simon and I on Fraser Island Australia











I find traveling to be such a rewarding experience. I was blessed enough to complete an around-the-world trip when I was in my 20s. I still travel as much as I can, but nothing has compared to that year and a half I spent in my 20s, completely carefree and traveling with the man of my dreams.

Traveling has been an incredible experience and has inspired me to write my third novel 'The Brightest Star'. I've already shared many of my stories of raising daughters in California, and now I want to expand on some of my travel adventures. If you enjoy travel writing, make sure to bookmark this page, as I will be expanding on all of my travel shenanigans.

Traveling through Southeast Asia in the early 2000s was truly something special. For me, it was a time of adventure, excitement, and romance as I explored new cultures and destinations with my partner, Simon. As a 22-year-old California girl, I never could have imagined the incredible journey that lay ahead of me.

It all started in Hollywood, where Simon and I met and fell in love. With our shared love of travel, we decided to embark on an adventure that would take us around the world. We began our journey with me flying to Egland and staying for three months (that story needs a post all of its own). Then we flew to Singapore, where we marveled at the futuristic skyline and explored the bustling street markets. From there, we traveled by land, to Malaysia, where we were awed by the lush jungles and pristine beaches. Thailand was next on our list, where we indulged in spicy street food, visited ornate temples, and soaked up the sun on idyllic islands with some of the most stunning white sand beaches I've ever had the pleasure to explore. We spent a month in Thailand, island hopping and enjoying the beauty of their land and culture.


Our next destination was Indonesia, where we hiked through rice paddies, explored ancient temples, and swam with sea turtles. From there, we flew to Australia and traveled up the coast, from Sydney to the Northern Territory, stopping at breathtaking destinations along the way. Once we arrived in Australia, we found jobs and spent a year living and exploring the land down under. It was an incredible experience, as we learned about Australian culture, made new friends, and explored stunning natural wonders like the bush, the Great Barrier Reef, and Uluru.


After our time in Australia, we continued our journey, visiting New Zealand, Rarotonga, Fiji, and Hawaii. Each destination was unique and awe-inspiring, from the rugged mountains of New Zealand to the crystal-clear waters of Fiji.


Reflecting on our journey, I can't help but feel grateful for the incredible experiences we had. Traveling through Southeast Asia in the early 2000s was a unique and unforgettable experience, as we explored new cultures, met fascinating people and saw breathtaking landscapes. But perhaps the most incredible part of the journey was sharing it with my partner, Simon. As we chased the sun around the globe, we grew even closer, sharing experiences and memories that we'll cherish forever.


Today, Simon and I are happily married, and our travels have taken us to many more incredible destinations around the world. But Southeast Asia will always hold a special place in our hearts, as the place where our journey began.


Your friend in motherhood,

Rachel V


Comments

Popular Posts